The Freeborn Stearns House was built circa 1815 by Freeborn Stearns, a farmer and blacksmith who relocated to Rindge from Winchendon, Massachusetts in the early nineteenth century.
The house may have been built on the site of an earlier home that was demolished to make room for the building we see today, and while it has undergone several minor renovations over the decades, the interior, in particular, retains much of its historical charm.
The property remained in the Stearns family until it was sold to Charles and Alice Hoyt in 1910. The Hoyts modernized the house, adding central heat and indoor plumbing, and they built a new cow barn and chicken house. They incorporated the business under the name of Rindgehurst Farm.
The house was then sold to Frank “Pop” Allen, and in 1995, the property was purchased from Frank’s widow, Hazel Allen, and became the new home of the ever-growing collection of the Rindge Historical Society.